Cody and I attended the same high school where he was a year ahead of me. We never had any interest in each other; honestly, we never even had a conversation. So it was strange when I heard Cody speak in chapel, and I couldn’t get thoughts of him out of my head afterward. He had just finished six months at bible school in Panama, and I was a senior. At this point, I often joked around with his younger brother, telling him that I was going to marry Cody one day. Only I wasn’t really joking, I knew I’d marry him.
Finally, I worked up the courage to talk to Cody. Rather than begin with, “I’m going to marry you,” I told him I liked him and wanted to hang out. We spent summer 2012 getting to know each other. Then, on Oct. 27, we got engaged.
Wedding planning was difficult with Cody attending UW-Madison and me in La Crosse planning the details. Thankfully, he is such a wonderful guy that he left most decisions to me, other than the tuxedos. For my dress, I knew exactly what I wanted: An all-lace dress with a beautiful back. Mestads in Rochester had what I wanted, and I fell in love with it!
I did most of the planning myself, although I had lots of help from my friends. We had an outdoor wedding on the golf course, and thankfully, we had beautiful weather, because I had no backup plan and was ready to be married in the rain. Two family friends played “A Thousand Years” by Piano Guys as I walked down the aisle.
One of the most important things we spent money on was the photographer, because when the day is over, all you have is your husband and the photos to remember it by. After seeing Boxcar Photography’s work, I knew I wanted to have them capture our day because I wanted beautiful photos that would help us remember our day. We took pictures before the ceremony so that the nerves of seeing each other would not weigh on us all day long. I would recommend it to any bride as it made the day run much more smoothly. TWM
BUSINESSES: BRIDAL GOWN/BRIDESMAID ATTIRE/TUXEDOS Mestads, Rochester, Minn. CATERING/VENUE The Golf Club at Cedar Creek DESSERTS Consumers Bakery FLORAL Monet Floral MUSIC No Coincidence Studios
Which couple is your favorite Real Wedding submission?
- 7.12.14 Caitlin (Aberger) & Robert Feeney (22%, 477 Votes)
- 10.12.13 Megan (Knaup) & Ben Pearson (18%, 389 Votes)
- 7.12.14 Lauren (Komro) & George Metropulos (12%, 271 Votes)
- 8.16.14 Erika (Segerson) & Bryan Mueller (12%, 268 Votes)
- 9.21.13 Alison (Lyga) & Jacob Welch (9%, 201 Votes)
- 6.21.14 Krystle (Romanowicz) & Ryan Burnett (7%, 153 Votes)
- 6.6.14 Kelsey (Hinkel) & Erik Johnson (5%, 109 Votes)
- 1.24.14 Beth (Nordaune) & Jeff Young (4%, 81 Votes)
- 5.17.14 Jen (Barber) & Brandon Corcoran (4%, 76 Votes)
- 8.2.13 Skylar (Layland) & Cody Sweeney (2%, 50 Votes)
- 6.7.14 Katelyn (Denn) & Andrew Nielsen (2%, 38 Votes)
- 10.5.13 Tara (Sabby) & Jeremy Anderson (2%, 38 Votes)
- 6.21.14 Laura (Kuisle) & Travis Hawley (0%, 1 Votes)
- 12.14.13 Kayla (Brion) & Tyler Jones (0%, 1 Votes)
- 6.14.14 Lori (Turner) & Terry Triebwasser (0%, 0 Votes)
Total Voters: 2,169