I never thought I would lose my husband at 36 years of age, let alone have a second wedding. I never thought I could find another love like that. It just shows that you never can tell.
When Jeff and I got engaged, I had reservations about having another “big to-do” wedding. Was that appropriate? The answer to that is—yes, absolutely! We had so much to celebrate and be happy about. Jeff and I were in love and excited about our marriage. We wanted to share it with our closest friends and family, but we wanted to do it in a big way. Instead of having a wedding day, we had a wedding weekend.
We decided on an outdoor winter wedding in January—we are Minnesotans after all! That day, the arctic temperatures we’d been experiencing were gone, and it warmed to a balmy 24 degrees with gorgeous snowflakes falling from the sky. The day couldn’t have been more perfect or magical. We had the most amazing time outside in the snow taking photos with our photographer. My vintage fur stole kept me toasty. The ceremony was at dusk under a glammed up birch arbor decorated with crystals, tulle, and candles. Ice luminaries lit up the aisle. To keep our guests warm, they were greeted with hot cider and hand warmers. We also had patio heaters and blankets to cuddle up underneath. After the ceremony, guests stood outside with sparklers as we walked into the restaurant where we celebrated with love, laughter, music, and dinner.
The following day, we had breakfast with our guests. After, we went tubing at a local ski hill and had a fun time tying the tubes together and speeding down the hill. That afternoon was filled with cocktails, a hot cocoa bar, appetizers, dog-sled rides, horse-drawn carriage rides, and swimming. The next morning, we had breakfast and said goodbye to our guests.
It was one of the most memorable weekends of my life. How often do you get away for a weekend with family and your closest friends? It was a once-in-a-lifetime experience, and I am blessed that it also happened to be our wedding weekend. TWM
BUSINESSES: CATERING/DESSERTS/VENUE Grandview Lodge, Brainerd FLORAL/DÉCOR Bloom Designs, Brainerd GOWN Mestads Bridal and Formal Wear STATIONERY Lisa Houghton Design
Which couple is your favorite Real Wedding submission?
- 7.12.14 Caitlin (Aberger) & Robert Feeney (22%, 477 Votes)
- 10.12.13 Megan (Knaup) & Ben Pearson (18%, 389 Votes)
- 7.12.14 Lauren (Komro) & George Metropulos (12%, 271 Votes)
- 8.16.14 Erika (Segerson) & Bryan Mueller (12%, 268 Votes)
- 9.21.13 Alison (Lyga) & Jacob Welch (9%, 201 Votes)
- 6.21.14 Krystle (Romanowicz) & Ryan Burnett (7%, 153 Votes)
- 6.6.14 Kelsey (Hinkel) & Erik Johnson (5%, 109 Votes)
- 1.24.14 Beth (Nordaune) & Jeff Young (4%, 81 Votes)
- 5.17.14 Jen (Barber) & Brandon Corcoran (4%, 76 Votes)
- 8.2.13 Skylar (Layland) & Cody Sweeney (2%, 50 Votes)
- 6.7.14 Katelyn (Denn) & Andrew Nielsen (2%, 38 Votes)
- 10.5.13 Tara (Sabby) & Jeremy Anderson (2%, 38 Votes)
- 6.21.14 Laura (Kuisle) & Travis Hawley (0%, 1 Votes)
- 12.14.13 Kayla (Brion) & Tyler Jones (0%, 1 Votes)
- 6.14.14 Lori (Turner) & Terry Triebwasser (0%, 0 Votes)
Total Voters: 2,169